Monday, October 24, 2011

Doing good but feeling bad

     Driving to work this morning I saw a deceased cat by the side of the freeway.  I always feel sad when I see animals that have come to an unfortunate end on the road, particularly as it looked like this was someones pet, not just a feral.
     I wasn't in a position to do anything about it just then but I couldn't get the poor thing off my mind and resolved that if it was still there in the afternoon when I passed by again I'd do something about it.  Hopefully it might have a collar or microchip then at least some there would be some closure for the unlucky owner.  I confirmed with a vet that they could help me and put some bags and gloves in the car in preparation for the retrieval task.
     As it turns out, when I drove by again in the afternoon, the cat had been removed.  I was a little bit relieved and a lot sad.  In fact I find it still distressing quite some time later.  I had steeled myself for it and was determined to do something, but was glad that it had already been done.  My actions today have hopefully made it easier for me to act next time.  It's never a nice job but
     Not that we let our furry friends free roam about the neighbourhood, we have a cat-run, but I'd like to think that if one of our guys did get out and find trouble that some kind soul would act appropriately and not just leave them there.  Our pets mean everything to us and it upsets me that somewhere in suburbia today is a household that has lost a loved pet to an untimely end.
     Not a good day for pets - I also became aware of a completely avoidable situation via Bengal Rescue Australia.  Someone had a Bengal and for whatever reason it was going to be put down if a home couldn't be found for it shortly.  Despite several offers of help and multiple options available - the owners rejected everything and put down the poor cat anyway.  Absolutely fucking despicable.  These people should be shot.  I can't begin to describe how mad this makes me and how helpless I feel knowing that there are pricks like this getting about anonymously in our society.  There are not enough bricks in the world to go through the windows of these poor excuses for human beings.
     Look after your pets people.

No comments:

Post a Comment