Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Second dirt crit

  Although it's a bit of a logistical effort to get to the dirt crits, I'm so glad I've been making the effort. So far I'm really enjoying the riding, the location, the people and just the buzz from having a crack during the week. All the Usual Supects were lurking about - Pete, Nigel, Cheryl and Chris (not racing) as well as some having their first go - Scott, Gregor and Lozz's son Nick. I took Nick out for a quick lap of the course before the racing started and he was doing it easy. I forgot the Aeroguard again this week and was getting eaten alive before the start...
  Tonight I entered B grade again and like last week it was the largest field. I was at the back of the pack from the start, maybe second last and overtook a guy about midway through the first lap. It seems that most of B grade was riding as a pack a bit ahead of me but I never caught them. I was tearing around the course mostly by myself but overtaking a number of people which I presume were in C and D grades. Unless they publish results I really wont know. I was putting up with a lot of automatic shifting - might be time to give the poor girl some TLC. Lap four was my most eventful lap. I passed Nick sucking down some water at the back of the course, almost fell off the second lot of mounds, went crashing through some bushes which almost ripped my helmet off in some tight singletrack and passed Scott coming towards the end of the lap. I sustained a fairly uniform pace over the five laps and never got passed by anyone - so I managed to hold off A grade despite them starting three minutes ahead. A much improved effort from last week where I was lapped and only completed four laps.
  Highlight of the night - refuelling with a Lozz Special Raspberry & White Chocolate Muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment